Except for the purposes of loading and unloading, freight containers shall not be used for the storage of flammable and combustible liquids in packages, unless they have been modified to comply with the requirements Sections 3 and 4 of this Standard with respect to separation, segregation, ventilation and spillage containment.
The following additional requirements apply to the storage of flammable and combustible liquids in such freight containers:
- A freight container shall not be used as both a storage and a workshop area.
- Before the freight container is first used as a store, the floorboards shall be inspected for any significant contamination from previous spills or leaks. NOTE: Contaminated floorboards could react dangerously with any further spills or leaks or evolve harmful vapours in a fire.
- There shall be a passage at least 800 mm wide inside the freight container. Such a passage shall be clearly marked, e.g. by yellow lines painted on the floor.
- No electrical equipment shall be installed inside the freight container unless it is suitably flameproofed.
- No point within the freight container shall be more than 6 m from the freight container’s exit door.
- Each door of the freight container shall be able to be opened from inside the freight container. Any external lock shall be deactivated.